Smart Interface Design Patterns, 2021 Edition
Riverview Building (6th floor), Svornosti 2, Prague 5
Are you ready for a design challenge? In this brand new workshop, Vitaly Friedman, creative lead and front-end/UI consultant behind Smashing Magazine, will be taking a microscopic examination of common interface components and problems appearing in responsive user interfaces. In this workshop, we’ll be spending an entire day drawing and designing responsive interfaces, starting from accordions, to date/time pickers, sliders, feature comparisons, car configurators all the way to insurance calculators and trip planners.
The workshop is intended for intermediate/advanced designers and developers who have an understanding of responsive design, interface design and mobile design. Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines and web applications. We won't cover the basics, instead, the workshop covers more advanced — and often obscure and innovative techniques.
The workshop is only available for participants who attend on-site.
WHAT WILL THE WORKSHOP COVER?
- How people use mobile interfaces and how we can optimize for thumbs,
- Navigation, with accordions, mega-drop-downs, carousels, modals, hamburger icons, bottom bar navigation, tabs and breadcrumbs,
- Filters, sorting and search for eCommerce websites, government and enterprise websites, museums, archives, libraries and dashboards,
- Advanced wizards and configurators used for complex multi-step flows, such as a custom car configurator and a multi-journey trip planner,
- Complex enterprise tables, with an enterprise dashboard with filters, tables, feature comparison, pricing plans and currency exchange calculator,
- Reviews and testimonials, when and how to use them, the details to include, the frequency of appearance, with plenty of examples to use right away,
- Date and time input focusing on date pickers and calendar widgets, incl. birthday input, day/time mini-jumps and horizontal split menus when buying tickets or booking an appointment,
- Schedule and timelines for spreadsheets, exhibition calendars, multi-track schedule, festival schedule and TV guides,
- Sliders, with mortgage and loan calculators, family trees, football game signature, live leaderboard and standings,
- Web forms, with form design and layout, input types, inline validation, tooltips, segmented control, autocomplete, error messages, email verification, password input, incl. enterprise forms, authentication and multi-column forms,
- Maps and data visualization, with map hotspots, detail views, axis swaps, charts layout, shopping mall and election maps and smart region input,
- Onboarding and offboarding UX for higher conversion/retention, incl. modals, empty states, loading indicators and guided tours,
- Privacy UX and authentication, with design patterns for GDPR/CCPA-compliant experiences, dealing with cookie prompts, permissions and notifications UX, CAPTCHA and 2-factor-auth,
- Seat selection, in which complex forms meet complex maps, for concerts, theatre performances, sport events, exhibitions and Formula 1 seat selection,
- Design anti-patterns, with design patterns that often create ambiguity, cause maintenance issues and initiate a “slow UX decay”.
WHAT HARDWARE/SOFTWARE DO YOU NEED?
You'll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug. We’ll be spending a lot of time drawing, sketching, designing and thinking. Be ready to challenge your general view of design process and how our interface should look like. Laptop is useful but not really necessary. You’ll need a lot of sleep reserves since it’s going to be a packed day. Bring a lot of attention to detail and non-standard thinking to this one! ;-)
Creative lead and Co-founder @ Smashing Media
Vitaly Friedman loves beautiful content and does not give up easily. From Minsk in Belarus, he studied computer science and mathematics in Germany, discovered the passage a passion for typography, writing and design. After working as a freelance designer and developer for 6 years, he co-founded Smashing Magazine, a leading online magazine dedicated to design and web development. Vitaly is the author, co-author and editor of all Smashing books. He currently works developing the new Smashing Memberships around the globe!