Smart Responsive Interface Design Patterns
FIVE Office Building (Auditorium), Na Valentince 4, Prague 5
Are you ready for a design challenge? In this brand new workshop, Vitaly Friedman, creative lead and front-end/UI consultant behind Smashing Magazine, will be taking a microscopic examination of common interface components and problems appearing in responsive user interfaces. In this workshop, we’ll be spending an entire day drawing and designing responsive interfaces, starting from accordions, to date/time pickers, sliders, feature comparisons, car configurators all the way to insurance calculators and trip planners.
The workshop is intended for intermediate/advanced designers and developers who have an understanding of responsive design, interface design and mobile design. Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines and web applications. We won't cover the basics, instead, the workshop covers more advanced — and often obscure and innovative techniques.
WHAT THE WORKSHOP WILL COVER:
- Insights into how people interact with mobile interfaces, thumb-driven designs
- Navigation, with mega-drop-downs, breadcrumbs, carousels, accordion and filters,
- Builders, with a car configurator and mobile plan builder,
- Forms, with email verification, password input, country selector, privacy issues, sliders and public transportation, and a banking transaction UI,
- Better onboarding and offboarding UX,
- Date pickers, date range picker and a time picker, incl. booking an appointment and booking an airline ticket,
- Tables, with a feature comparison table, currency exchange calculator, pricing plans,
- Search, with autocomplete, filters, search results,
- Calendars, with a multi-track schedule, TV Guide schedule, music festival schedule, exhibition calendar, spreadsheets and dashboard,
- Audio/Video, with a video player UI and audio-based input,
- Maps / Data Visualization, with a shopping mall map, election map, smart region input.
- Timelines, with a historical timelines, soccer game signature and live leaderboard and standings,
- Real-time experience with betting UI for soccer, poker and live video streaming,
- Footnotes and sidenotes in magazine articles,
- Authentication patterns, CAPTCHA
- Privacy UX, incl. GDPR cookie consent prompts, notifications, pop-ups, permissions UX and data management,
- Seat selection, for a concert/theatre/exhibition and a perfect airplane check-in,
- Responsive art-direction with practical techniques, strategies and examples for less generic solutions,
- Responsive PDF for documents and restaurant menus,
- Responsive upscaling, with eCommerce experience on large screens and article layout on large screens,
- Offline UX
- Design anti-patterns to avoid to prevent running into maintenance issues and “slow UX decay”.
WHAT HARDWARE/SOFTWARE YOU NEED:
You'll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug. We’ll be spending a lot of time drawing, sketching, designing and thinking. Be ready to challenge your general view of the design process and how our interface should look like. Laptop is useful but not really necessary. You’ll need a lot of sleep reserves since it’s going to be a packed day. Bring a lot of attention to detail and non-standard thinking to this one! ;-)
Creative lead and Co-founder @ Smashing Magazine
Vitaly Friedman loves beautiful content and does not give up easily. From Minsk in Belarus, he studied computer science and mathematics in Germany, discovered the passage a passion for typography, writing and design. After working as a freelance designer and developer for 6 years, he co-founded Smashing Magazine, a leading online magazine dedicated to design and web development. Vitaly is the author, co-author and editor of all Smashing books. He currently works developing the new Smashing Memberships around the globe!